OUR LADY OF KNOCK
Feast Day: August 21
The Same as Pope
UPDATED SEPTEMBER 22, 2008
Our Presentation on Our Lady
of Knock Contains:
The image we used to add celtic graphics was painted by the eminent
Hector Garrido, whose work adorns many a religious greeting card,
plates and art books. There is scarcely an apparition or event in the
of Mary that he has not painted. We are privileged to own a number of
beautiful works, all of them of Mary or the Holy Family. The image of
Knock [link below] is one of our favorite contemporary Madonnas. This
section of Celtic Saints
is dedicated to him. You may find his work for purchase at almost any
shop. The distributor is Reproducta, which supplies various outlets,
Catholic establishments. His depiction is officially known as Our Lady
of Silence because Our Lady spoke no words at Knock, unlike her other
apparitions. The message was in the tableau as related below.
We had a typo related to one of the dates, which we corrected, from
1963 to 1936 the actual date of the interview of Mary Byrne. In
addition we have the complete and updated phone and fax information for
the shrine in Ireland. The external links have been updated as well.
On the evening of August 21,
1879 Mary McLoughlin, the housekeeper to the parish priest of Knock,
Mayo, ireland, was astonished to see the outside south wall of the
bathed in a mysterious light; there were three figures standing in
of the wall, which she mistook for replacements of the stone figures
in a storm. She rushed through the rain to her friend Margaret Byrne’s
After a half hour Mary decided
to leave and Margaret’s sister Mary agreed to walk home with her. As
passed the church they saw and amazing vision very clearly: Standing
from the gable and to the west of it appeared the Blessed Virgin, St.
and St. John. The figure of the Blessed Virgin was life-size, while the
others seemed to be neither as large nor as tall. They stood a little
from the gable wall about two feet from the ground. The Virgin was
with her eyes toward Heaven, and she was wearing a large white cloak
in full folds; on her head was a large crown.
Mary Byrne ran to tell her
family while Mary McLoughlin gazed at the apparition. Soon a
gathered and all saw the apparition. The parish priest, Archdeacon
did not come out, however, and his absence was a disappointment to the
devout villagers. Among the witnesses were Patrick Hill and John Curry.
As Patrick later described the scene: ‘The figures were fully rounded,
as if they had a body and life. They did not speak but, as we drew
they retreated a little towards the wall.’ Patrick reported that he got
close enough to make out the words in the book held by the figure of
An old woman named Bridget
trench drew closer to embrace the feet of the Virgin, but the figure
always beyond reach. Others out in the fields and some distance away
a strange light around the church. The vision lasted for about three
and then faded.
The next day a group of villagers
went to see the priest, who accepted the their report as genuine; he
to the diocesan Bishop of Tuam; then the Church set up a commission to
interview a number of the people claiming to witness the apparition.
diocesan hierarchy was not convinced, and some members of the
ridiculed the visionaries, alleging they were victims of a hoax
by the local Protestant constable! But the ordinary people were not so
skeptical, and the first pilgrimages to knock began in 1880. Two years
and claimed he had been healed by the Virgin of Knock.
In due course many of the
witnesses died. But Mary Byrne married, raised six children, living her
entire life in Knock. When interviewed again in 1936 at the age of
her account did not vary from the first report she gave in 1879.
The village of Knock was transformed
by the thousands who came to commemorate the vision and to ask for
for others and themselves. The local church was too small to
the crowds. In 1976 a new church, Our Lady Queen of Ireland, was
It holds more than two thousand and needs to, for each year more than a
half million visitors arrive to pay their respects to the Blessed
The Church approved the the
apparition in 1971 as being quite probable, although it has never been
formally stated. The Shrine at Knock is opened year round. In 1994
life-sized statues were erected of Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John.
It is this web master’s
that the Apparition is more than probable, it is authentic; I believe
that Our Lady was warning us about the changes in the Mass coming in
the next century, in which much Catholic doctrine would be silenced,
that is removed from the Mass itself. The marked decline in church
attendance and knowledgeable Catholics provide ample evidence for such
a thesis arising not only in this Catholic’s mind but others’,
including some priests.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE SHRINE:
Co. Mayo in NW Republic of Ireland. Access from London. Trains and
to Ballyhaunis [7 miles/11 km] from Dublin and Belfast.
MASS TIMES; April 27 to October
12, weekdays 8 , 9, 11 a.m., noon, and 3, 5 and 7:30 p.m.; Sundays and
Holy Days 8 and 11 a.m., noon, 3 and 7 p.m., eve of Sundays and Holy
7:30 p.m. Note: Since we first published this information, the times
and dates may have changed. You may contact the
Shrine Office, Co. Mayo, Ireland. Tel: 00
353 94 9388100 Fax: 00 353 94 9388295
Sé do bheath’ a Mhuire,
atá lán de ghrásta, tá an Tiarna leat.
Is beannaithe thú
idir mná agus is beannaithe toradh do bhruinne losa.
A Naomh Mhuire,
a mháthair Dé, guí orainn na peacaithe, anois is
uair ar mbás. Amen.
Greatest of Marys,
Greatest of Women,
Mother of Eternal Glory,
Mother of the Golden Light,
Honor of the Sky,
Temple of the Divinity,
Fountain of the Gardens,
Serence as the Moon,
Bright as the Sun,
Temple of the Living God,
Light of Nazareth,
Beauty of the World,
Queen of Life,
Ladder of Heaven,
Mother of God.
Pray for us.